Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
[ZGG Repost] Elves
Havard:
What do you all do with elves in your campaigns? Looking at the figures, it looks like the Westryn vastly outnumber the Cumasti. Chances are, its more likely to meet the Westryn, even if they are a reclusive bunch.

How dark do you make them? The Cumasti remind me of Tolkien's lot haning out at Rivendell. I always saw Ringlo as similar to Rivendell anyway.

Thoughts?

TheWonderingBard:
Well from what I've seen thus far. Yes the Cumasti are VERY much like the Rivendell Elves, but the Wystren remind Me not of even thier cousins. I think of them more like Celtic Hunters of old myth and legend.

bgilkison:
If you want to continue the Tolkien comparison, IMHO, I'd place the Westryn mentality in the same camp as the wood-elves, i.e. the Elves of Mirkwood (Thranduil and his kin). At least from their portrayal in The Hobbit, they seemed even more xenophobic than some of the other elven groups remaining in Middle-Earth...
Havard:
Interestin idea. My only problem with it is that the Mirwood elves seem a little silly as they are described in the Hobbit....

Celtic Hunter types as The Wondering Bard suggests seems closer to what I am looking for. Probably a fairly dark version of those even...

Havard

Falconer:
The Wood-elves of The Hobbit aren’t silly. The Rivendell Elves are.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Just reposting this instead of a whole thread:

Quote:Post subject: PostPosted: Jan 13, 2007 - 04:47 PM

I am woefully ignorant of Oerth's timeline and of whatever was officially published about Greyhawk. Svenny and his family traveled to the Great Kingdom (in the summer of 1972 real time) to sell Elven magic items collected for his friends among the Cumasti Elves. That was the official explanation for when I was out of town for about three months and therefore not active in the game. So, I didn't gain any knowledge of the Great Kingdom at that time. Later all of the heroes of the North travelled accross the Great Kingdom to Greyhawk, where Gary's players had gotten into a bad way and we were able to save them from their crisis, but we traveled on tarnback and didn't really have a specific adventure during the trip. Other players crossed between the two campaigns by moving from Lake Geneva to Minneapolis and vice versa, so they might have different and more interesting stories then mine.

Quote:Shane wrote:
P.S. I wonder if any of the long-timers who played with Arneson and Gygax have any more ideas of how the two Great Kingdoms were correlated?

The Great Kingdom was one and the same in both campaigns, as the two campaigns were connected. Dave and Gary collaborated.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign