Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[ZGG Repost] Q&A with Dustin Clingman and Dave Arneson
http://mmrpg.zeitgeistgames.com/index.p ... opic&t=355

Havard:
Here is a thread where you can ask questions to Dave and Dustin.

Note: This is a test, we will have to wait and see if we can get Dave and Dustin to come here and answer our questions Smile

HÃ¥vard
Shane:
Dave or Dustin, the new map of The North of Blackmoor is excellent. I was wondering what part of the real world Dutch coast is the original Blackmoor map based on?

Shane

Rafael:
How comes it that most of Blackmoor location names can be retracted either to whisky or cigarette brand names? Smile

DClingman:
Shane Wrote:Dave or Dustin, the new map of The North of Blackmoor is excellent. I was wondering what part of the real world Dutch coast is the original Blackmoor map based on?

Shane

I've asked Dave about this and he doesn't think it's anything specific, but more an influence while he was thinking about the world. He's got lots of stories about Scandanavia and I am certain he's studied the region at length.

Desdichado Wrote:How comes it that most of Blackmoor location names can be retracted either to whisky or cigarette brand names? Smile

Well the majority of those names are 30+ years old, but honestly, I don't make any connection with them. If anything this is simply coincidence. Smile

Dustin

Havard:
Dustin,
thanks for joining in this thread. I think it can become a very useful resource for those of us fans who are interested in trivia like this.

I have been searching through old Dutch maps on the web, but havent been able to find anything resembling Blackmoor yet. (BTW Dutch refers to Holland which is not part of Scandinavia).

Desdichado: Can you point out some of the specific names that are derived from such brands as you mention? I was trying to google some of the map names at random, but couldnt find anything...

HÃ¥vard

Rafael:
Thank you for the info! My players always found it funny...

To Havard:

Well, right out of my head:

Glendower: Whisky.

Blackmoor: Very eypensive whisky.

Chesterfield: Cigarettes.

Whitehorse: Cider.

Smile

Havard:
Here is another question for Dave or Dustin: Is Dave a big whisky drinker?

DClingman:
Definitely not. I've never seen the man take a drink.

Dustin

Shane:
Thanks for your response Dustin. Smile

Here's a copule other questions:

1) Did Dave ever play or DM in the Known World of Mystara?

2) Does Zeitgeist Games have any interest in acquiring a license to publish a new version of the World of Mystara?

Shane

DClingman:
Shane Wrote:Thanks for your response Dustin. Smile

Here's a copule other questions:

1) Did Dave ever play or DM in the Known World of Mystara?

While I don't have direct knowledge of him every "playing or DM'ing", I tend to doubt it. He's usually running games and they are almost exclusively set in Blackmoor of one Age or another.

Quote:2) Does Zeitgeist Games have any interest in acquiring a license to publish a new version of the World of Mystara?
Shane

This has been a question we've been asked many times. I have always personally enjoyed Mystara. I think that it is deserving of a treatment and would heartily encourage the property holders to satisfy the existing needs of the fans. As to the direct question... Right now, I am not sure that it would be in Mystara's best interest to be placed with a smaller company. There are also a numbr of hurdles to working on a licensed property. We're lucky with Blackmoor because Dave's the guy who invented the stuff. It would be alot of work to bring Mystara back in a format that it deserves. Would we consider it? Sure. Would we be likely to take the project? I honestly don't know, but I wouldn't go hunting for it at this time. We've got alot of new properties coming out and we'd rather put our attention on those for the time being.

Dustin

Rafael:
Hi Dustin,

So will ZGG expand on the P&P market and publish other lines than only Blackmoor?

Yours,

Rafael

Drwaith:
here is my question. Will the map be expanded in time to show more of the world, like Ten and the thonian empire...

DClingman:
Desdichado Wrote:
DClingman Wrote:We've got alot of new properties coming out and we'd rather put our attention on those for the time being.

Hi Dustin,

So will ZGG expand on the P&P market and publish other lines than only Blackmoor?

Yours,

Rafael

Yes, definitely. There are currently no less than 3 product lines other than Blackmoor currently in production. There's also an awesome card game on the way too. We're growing and expanding past Blackmoor, but we'll always have a special fondness for it. Smile

dwraith Wrote:here is my question. Will the map be expanded in time to show more of the world, like Ten and the thonian empire...

There are plans to show more of the world, but licensing limitations are likelyt o preclude the expansion from detailing Ten or Thonia in name.

Dustin

Havard:
Could you elaborate on this?

HÃ¥vard

DClingman:
Sure, just a bit.

Dave has had a vision for the world surrounding Blackmoor for years. At such time when we really wish to expand, we'll be most likely to forge ahead with his vision rather than rely on licensed property to do so.

Havard:
Ah, cool! Cool

I thought what you were saying was that the WotC lisence prevented you from expanding on the setting. The strategy you are describing is much better. I suppose you would have to change some names, if they are considered owned by WotC, but even so that would be great!

Using names like "The North", "The Great Empire" and "The First Fantasy campaign" or Dave Arneson's Fantasy Campaign even are some good ways to dodge lisence restrictions. Or prhaps you are even allowed to use terms like Thonia without getting into trouble?

Are you planning on developing this under the D20 line, or are you considering using a different system, becoming truly independent of WotC?

Havard

DClingman:
There are alot of options at our disposal. I really like the d20 system. I dont' think it's perfect, but I think people are comfortable using it and it allows us to focus on developing the backgrounds and stories rather than revamping the rules.

That being said, next year will be *very* inteteresting for ZG. Smile

[Editor: Referring to 2008]

Dustin

DavidW:
When might we see corrected maps for Castle Blackmoor. I find the ones in the book very problematic. The left margin is cut off in many cases, and the area #s on the map don't match up with the text in very many cases. Also, what happened with the book's cover art? Why so dark? It looks like a big black box, rather than an image at all.

Oh, and any chance of some sort of handout for Castle Blackmoor explaining how the levels connect. I for one find it extremely difficult to figure out which stairs connect.

I hope I don't come off sounding unpleasant. I've been looking forward to this product for a very long time and am glad it has finally seen the light of day.

Havard:
What you are saying makes alot of sense to me. I am mainly interested in the setting anyway.

As for the perfect system, I don't think there is one. The only problem with the D20 syetm is the question of what happens when WotC decides to publish 4.0.
Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with next year! Smile

roonhok:
You can see in the middle of this post what the cover could have looked like.
http://kevin-mayle.livejournal.com/17479.html
In this post you can see the original art was much more clear, and next to it you can see what it would have looked like large and clear with title and logo.

Just to make it clear, I didn't create that cover art. It was posted on Richard Iorio's blog months before it came out and it looked pitch black. I adjusted the contrast to brighten it up enough so you could see what the art was intended to look like and sent it to Richard. Apparently it wasn't used for the final product.

Here you can see what the cover to the core campaign book would have looked like if it hadn't been cropped so severely. http://www.larryelmore.com/popups/color/co081.htm

DClingman:
We're still working on an errata for DCB.

To answer the question specifically. The stairs do line up, but they are indeed fairly chaotic. These levels were from the Original maps and if you have a Adventures in Fantasy, you can verify this. The chaos of the stairs is part of the nostalgia. The numbering is only incorrect on level 1 and that was definitely an oversight.

As for the cover, the proof we saw was not as dark as the final product. We are not happy with the darkness, but nothing can be done about that now. Hopefully the printers we're working with for Temple of the Frog will have a much better outcome.

Regarding any lateness. There were *many* reasons why this book came out when it did. Almost none of them related to the project itself. Unfortunately, I can't (and won't) explain these details here. Suffice it to say, we've got a new printer, a new art director, a new line developer, and Richard Iorio at the helm to make sure that all things blackmoor come out better in the future.

I would address the inherent tone in your post elfwoodjrb. Your fair criticisms may certainly be expressed here in a civil manner, but your question and the tone of your post are certainly coming across as very backhanded. If I am misreading your intent, then please let me know, but I certainly don't appreciate your tone.

If there's something else on your mind, please contact me via PM on the forums. I'd like to preserve what has been a very polite community here on this site. Please refrain from these kinds of posts in the future.

Dustin

elfwoodjr:
Sorry for the tone but that happens when you wait for overly extended periods of time for product, pay good money for it, find major flaws with it, ask about it and not receive an answer. If you're going to run a company you'll have to develop a thicker skin. You're going to find that not everyone is going to be satisfied with everything you do. In today's world of the internet, word travels publicly and fast. Not conducted secretly through PMs and e-mails so that no one can hear the ugly side to a story. For an example of this, look to your own new art director's blog in which he criticizes and tears apart other rpg companies products. http://greatcleave.blogspot.com/
I quote from his latest entry:
Quote:Quote:
Before I talk about Shadowrun, I want to mention briefly that XCrawl is the worst execution of a great idea I've ever seen in gaming. This is beyond amateur publishing. This was juvenile.
Yes. That's a harsh thing to say. Yes. Professional courtesy dictates that I not speak poorly of someone else's product in a public manner. Yes. This is better served as a letter to the XCrawl team, who as I understand it aren't making the game anymore.
Yes. I know you're turned off by my assertation.
But, today's post is for the good of everyone and I would be remiss if I didn't tell you WHY XCrawl fails on every level in an article about why I love and hate Shadowrun at the same time.

DClingman:
I have long known that some people won't be satisfied with some of the things that we do. That's not the point. I'd remind you that I didn't edit nor impune your ability to make a critical post on these forums of our work or places where you think we can improve. In fact, I even encouraged you to continue to post things, but to change the tone.

This has nothing to do with thick skin, it's all about civility. It's not an unreasonable request to ask you to be civil.

As for your comments regarding Jim Pinto, those opinions are certainly his own and are not endorsed nor hosted on this site. Jim is an independent contractor and not an employee of Zeitgeist Games. I noticed that he does have comments enabled on his blog and you can leave your agreement or disagreement with him on that site. Please feel free to take those issues up with Jim on your own.

In fact, the very discussion of his opinions are irrelevant to the discussion of what and how *you* post on these forums.

I'll ask you again to show the same civility and respect to these forums that I have shown you in response. You're entitled to an intelligent discourse and expression of your opinions, even those that are critical of our work and products, but you have to abide by the request for civility in order to continue participation.

Dustin

Rafael:
Hi Dustin,

Friends of mine report that the registration page for new account on this board is broken.

No idea if that's their own fault or not, but I wanted you to know.

Yours,

Rafael

DClingman:
It's not their fault. I did indeed make this change. There's also instructions for them on how to get registered on the very same page in which the registration information is given.

Simply put, we've been getting numerous attacks against the site and a great number of people who are registering with malicious intent. We're working to better control the situation, but until then I am manually registering people for the site.

Have them send me email at dustin@zeitgeistgames.com to sign up.

dustin

Rafael:
Thank you! I am currently recruiting some new players for the ongoing Grim Winter game. I'll tell those new players to contact you directly. Smile

Yours,

Rafael

Havard:
Here is another question for Dustin:
What's this I've been hearing about "1776"? Wink

DClingman:
1776 was a project that was going on in the background while we righted the Blackmoor ship and got our publication efforts straightened out. The 1776 project is the property of Richard Iorio and in recent discussions he's decided to hold off having it published for the time being.

You may hear more about this in the near future. Smile
Dustin

qstor:
Dustin, has any thoughts been give to talks with Paradigm Concepts and/or Crafty Games now that Arcanis and Spycraft have left the RPGA about a 'unified' MMRPG group?

Rafael:

Hi Dustin,

Another question: Is *Temple of the Frog* already out? Smile

It seems to me that I have overlooked respective announcement with the site movign etc.

Can't wait to get that one! Smile

Yours,

Rafael

Smedleytroll:
I know this has been discussed, but I haven't really seen an answer. Do you have to rotate the maps to get them to line up? If so what is up with the compass roses? Rotating the maps makes the compass roses not work, unless North changes direction from level to level. I've faked out a set of line ups so I can run it, but I'd be interested in how it should look. Would it be possible to put the map out with letters from the levels showing how they line up? Thus staircase a on 1st level would match with staircase a on second? Even just the first two levels might help.

Also where do the stairs that go up on level one go? Do they just go to nowhere, or is there some sort of upper level that isn't described?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign